Friday, May 27, 2005

The Itch

Oh man, I'm gettin' the itch. You know what I'm talking about. Antsy, unfocused, anxious to just plop down a few bucks for a form; sit back and inhale the fresh scent of second hand smoke. Does it get any better than that? Winning. Or more specifically, picking a winner.

I have at times threw down some loot on pre-selected numbers (like one will tend to do at jai-lai) or on "tips" that involve zero skill or ability. Sure it's nice to cash a ticket (ALWAYS!!) but it loses a lot of its luster if YOU don't pick the winner. That's why betting on the horses is such a great competition. Sure, it takes SOME skill to pick a footbal game, but all in all it's basically a 50-50 pick. You either pick Team A or Team B. With the horses you have anywhere from 3 (ugh!) to 20 (ok, just in the Derby, but we are in for arguments sake here) possible winners and any number of possible combos that proves you can pick a winner.

As I try and sneak out of work here on an absolutely gorgeous Friday afternoon (Memorial Day Weekend) herein the Pac. NW, I have just noticed that Hollywood Park doesn't post until 7 pm pst, Emerald Downs not until 6:15. I might be able to catch a the last two races at Belmont if I can get out of here soon, but my timing is just awful right now.

Such are the dilemmas of a gambler.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

No comments: